Monday 24 October 2011

Email to Nick Mayne (referred by Liz Breuck, HSL)

mailto:Nick.Mayne@canterbury.gov.uk
date24 October 2011 18:33
subjectReferred by Liz Brueck, HSL (re: hearing protection in music/club​s)
mailed-bygmail.com
hide details 18:33 (1 minute ago)

My name is Rachel Dunscombe and I'm studying for my MA in Applied Imagination at London Arts Central Saint Martins.

My project is specifically targeting hearing protection in nightclubs as this is a heavily identified problem for clubbers, and how a new approach could actually improve the experience of using hearing protection products and give protection a completely new "image".
I have been liaising with Action on Hearing Loss (previously RNID) and they have given me copies of their 'Don't Lose the Music' and 'Like it Loud' campaign reports. I have also had involvement and feedback from other companies including HSL (Health and Safety Laboratory).
To focus on the target audience, I have also been getting feedback from the clubbing community worldwide, and from professional DJs in the industry including Jono and Tony from Above and Beyond, Dennis Shepherd and Tobias Schuh (Cold Blue) who has also circulated my idea across the german trance forums.
My idea for a new type of protection product has had a wide range of very interested and extremely positive feedback, and is also being supported by Liz Brueck (Senior Noise Scientist, Health and Safety Laboratory) who has identified my proposed idea as a breakthrough in the entertainment industry that has not been done before. I am in the process of getting the patent and legal protection in place. I am also receiving support from other named individuals and also the Ministry of Sound in London.

Liz Brueck advised me of how you led a kent wide initiative to control occupational exposure in music and entertainment venues, as well as an initial project in canterbury researching the attitude of people regularly attending loud venues.  She also explained that you contacted local hospitals and medical professionals concerned with hearing to ask whether they were seeing people with hearing problems linked to exposure to music. I was therefore hoping you may have some thoughts or advice for me, or ways in which your findings may be able to assist or interrogate my own research and product idea.

My final exam / graduate exhibition is on the first week of December, therefore if you could get back to me as soon as possible if you are interested and have any available time for a chat, that would be ideal.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Many thanks, Rachel.

No comments:

Post a Comment